Troubleshooting Upgrade to GP 2010 R2

I’ve been working on installing the newly released GP 2010 R2 in a “sandbox” environment. I ran in to an issue performing the upgrade and thought I’d share it in case it helps anyone else.

I had the GP 2010 client installed on the same machine I was installing R2 on. Rather than creating a new DSN at install time, I simply renamed the existing DSN used for GP 2010 and moved on to GP Utilities.

However, the upgrade kept crashing at the “syExcelReports” step. The crash report indicated an issue with sqlncli.exe.

After trying a few other things, I finally thought about what the sqlncli.exe message might mean. Going in to the DSN setup (c:\windows\syswow64\odbcad32.exe on my 64-bit machine), I noticed that the original GP 2010 DSN I used was using an old version of the SQL Client.

I created a new DSN using the SQL Native Client 10.0 driver, re-ran the upgrade using that DSN, and voila! Upgrade completed. I hope this tip saves someone else some time and frustration as they work through their install/upgrade of GP2010 R2.